Vraag & Antwoord

OS Linux

Onze Slackware maintainer is ziek :(

16 antwoorden
    Hash: SHA1

    Tuesday, November 16, 2004, 10:43

    "Last post?"

    Hi folks. If you're reading this, I thank you. Perhaps you'll have a role
    to play in bringing about the miracle that I desperately need. First, I'd
    like to apologize for the lack of updates lately in Slackware -current and
    stable… I know there are a few outstanding issues that need to be
    addressed. However, I've been too sick to work for a couple of weeks and
    now I am away from my computers and at my parents' house in Fargo, North
    Dakota where my only online access is through an AOL dialup. I have told
    only a select few people about what's going on thinking that I did not want
    the internet at large to know about this, that I'd get it taken care of
    and get back on track without a major problem. Now, I'm hoping that this
    will get seen by a lot of people and that if it hits Slashdot that some
    kind medical geek will help save my life.

    I've generally been a pretty healthy guy. Nobody I know would characterize
    me as a hypochondriac by any stretch, so when I raise an alarm it tends to
    be for real. I'm going to give a timeline and run through all the
    symptoms I've had (so if that sort of thing grosses you out, you can stop
    reading right now). For the rest of you, here goes. This is going to be
    long, but hopefully somebody who can help will read it…

    This all began quite some time ago, perhaps as long ago as May of 2001.
    I was preparing Slackware 8.0 for release and working really hard. A pain
    developed in my shoulder, and (too busy to do anything about it right
    away) I ignored it and continued to keep working. It got to be pretty
    bad and one afternoon in early June I was rushed to the emergency room
    at a hospital in Concord, California. I was sweating, feverish, with a
    weak pulse of around 50, experiencing chills and seeming to be on the
    verge of passing out. The doctor who saw me did a chest X-ray and didn't
    think it was too unusual. I was told it was probably bronchitis and was
    sent home with a presription for ciprofloxacin which mostly cleared up
    the problem. Still the pain in my shoulder seemed to vaguely remain.
    By mid October of 2001, I was in bad shape again. My parents asked me
    what I wanted for my birthday and I told them some more Cipro. They
    found someone who was able to help me out with a 60 day supply (no small
    task as this was right after the infamous Anthrax mailings when all the
    newspapers were running articles about Cipro and people were trying to
    horde it). I finished the two month course of antibiotics and felt
    better. Not perfect, but significantly improved. I chalked the events
    of 2001 up to stress, but in retrospect I am not so sure. I had
    similar problems in 2002 and 2003 that were also knocked back with some
    antibiotics, but the pain in my left upper back (and some kind of
    "presence" there) never did fully clear up. Tests for TB came back

    Fast forward to May of this year. I found myself complaining about "my
    usual pain", as I had started to call it, more and more. I was starting
    to wonder if I was even going to be able to make my annual camping trip
    out in western New York state at the beginning of July, but I did go.
    I figured the sun and a little exercise would do me some good, and I
    did feel a little less like I was "fixin' to die," but upon my return
    to California things started to do downhill for me again. This whole
    time I was coughing up some strange stuff. Some of it was white and
    reminded me of dental plaque. In spite of being a dentist's son I've
    never had the best oral hygiene so I'm familiar with plaque. The
    "plaque" I was getting out of my lungs was some nasty stuff and
    smelled just like dental floss used after a couple of days without
    brushing. Yeah, I know I should be better about that, but tend to
    stay up late and if my wife is already asleep don't always turn the
    light on and wake her up so I can brush before bed. To help me avoid
    more tooth decay my dad bought me one of those fancy rechargable
    electric toothbrushes that really powers away the plaque. It also
    creates a fine aerosol mist of plaque, and I started to wonder if 4
    years of using this brush had caused me to breathe in some of this
    plaque mist and moved an infection into my lungs. I inquired with
    several physicians about "lung plaque" and most of them had never
    heard of such a thing. One told me he had heard of something like
    that in people who were exposed to asbestos, though. Searching on
    Google didn't turn up any relevant hits on the subject.

    By early September 2004, I was spending a good portion of the time
    I'd normally be working online flat on my back instead. The pain
    that had started in my left upper back had moved into my left side
    below the ribs, and my right side just under my armpit, too. Being
    an ex-smoker, worries of lung cancer were starting to consume my
    thoughts. A close friend of my father's had recently died from that
    disease, and his initial symptom was also shoulder pain – in fact,
    they treated him for a presumed pulled muscle for many months while
    the real problem went undiagnosed. Sometime in October I decided
    that it was time to pull my head out of the sand and get in to see
    my usual physician who runs a small clinic in Concord, tell him all
    of this stuff, and at least try to get cancer ruled out. He ordered
    chest X-rays, blood work, ran an EKG, and checked all my usual vital
    signs. I told him about the "lung plaque" and reported feeling weak
    all the time with no appetite. Being 6'2" and about 145 pounds I
    knew I didn't want to be losing any weight. He also listened to my
    chest and like all the doctors I've seen this year thought it sounded
    mostly clear, like there wasn't anything major going on there. The
    X-ray was a little different story though. It was taken on a
    Thursday and I was told not to expect to hear anything until sometime
    the next week. Well, the next morning the phone rang and it was my
    doctor. He told me there was something "suspicious" seen in my left
    upper lung (right about where the long-standing pain was), and that
    I needed to get some more X-rays at the local hospital instead of
    the imaging center I'd gone to before. They weren't going to be able
    to get me in there until the next Monday.

    The next morning I decided that I'd better FedEx some T-shirts that
    my friends at the GUS in Brazil had been waiting for (not knowing
    how much longer I could procrastinate on that, etc). While driving
    back I felt a sharp pain in my left side and felt something in there
    pop and drain (maybe into the pleura?), and since cancer was well on
    my mind, as well as the fact that this had been going on for way too
    long, I headed straight to the nearest ER hoping I wasn't bleeding
    internally or something like that. By the time the doctor there saw
    me I was holding onto my left side which seemed to help the pain a
    bit. He ran a UA (and called it "questionable") and sent me down for
    a CT scan. No iodine dye – just a lower abdominal scan to see if I
    had any kidney stones (and yes, I related as much of this other info
    as he had time to hear in a busy ER). No stones were found, but he
    wrote me a script for Cipro and some pain medication. I showed up
    at the hospital the next day (in only slightly better shape) to try
    to schedule additional X-rays, but they had misplaced the fax my
    doctor had sent in, and they didn't want to schedule additional images
    until they had seen the first ones. I never did see those myself,
    and the imaging center requires a 48 hour notice to check out films.
    It was starting to look like going through this medical center was
    going to be a slow process, and I wasn't sure I had that kind of time.

    So, I made the decision to pack up the car and drive back to North
    Dakota from California. My Dad has been part of the medical community
    for years there, and knows a lot of people. I figured he would know
    who I should be seeing, and could help me set something up. A week
    ago Sunday (Nov. 7) my wife Andrea and I set out to make the 1680 mile
    drive to Fargo. We made it as far as Monida Pass. This is a mountain
    pass on the Idaho/Montana border with an elevation of 6820 feet. On
    the way up the grade I knew it wasn't going to be kind to me. I felt
    an intense squeezing under my sternum and started to sweat and nearly
    passed out. I've never previously had any trouble with high elevations
    and have done hiking and mountain biking at much higher ones than this
    particular pass. Luckily Andrea was driving at the time! We decided
    that we would stop at the next fairly large town with a hospital and
    see what they could do for me. This was Butte, Montana, an old mining
    town, and home of St. James Hospital. The folks there were absolutely
    wonderful to me. They did some more blood work (finding only a slightly
    low potassium level), chest X-rays, and a CT with the iodine. They
    didn't wait long for the dye to circulate because they said the main
    goal there was to insure I didn't have a pulmonary embolism. I did not
    have that. The doctor and radiologist also told me my lungs looked
    "slightly inflamed" and to stay on the Cipro, but that I was unlikely
    to keel over before making it to Fargo, especially as I'd be losing
    elevation rapidly upon heading east. They packed the X-rays and CT
    scans into a big envelope and told me I could borrow it to take to
    my doctor in Fargo, and that they see a lot of people come in from that
    pass with similar problems. So, off we went. I was mostly ok getting
    back to Fargo, but never lost the feeling that someone was leaning on
    my chest pressing on my sternum, and was occasionally short of breath
    even after getting down to the 1000 foot elevation.

    Back in Fargo, I had an appointment with an internal MD on Thursday
    morning. By Wednesday night the pressure under my sternum was so
    bad that it felt like I was having a heart attack, and was again
    taken to an ER (the Slackware 2004 ER tour continues). While there
    I started to feel better, and the pressure was letting up, and I
    did not want to be a GOMER in their emergency room. The doctor I saw
    the next day focused on the possibility of a thyroid or liver problem,
    and ran some more tests that came back looking ok. He thought the CT
    from Butte looked "within normal limits". That night I again got the
    squeeze (pericardis?) but suffered through it because I did not want
    to go back to the ER. I've had at least one strong attack every day
    since, along with the sensation of "pop and drain" in all the original
    pain points and under my sternum. The next day (Saturday, 13th) I went
    to a local clinic with an MD in private practice. This guy was/is
    great, and has seen me about a half dozen times since. He agreed
    that I had signs of serious infection, including a disgusting
    garlic/sulfur smell you could detect at 50 paces. He put me on
    levaquinone and metronidazole hoping to have a better chance of
    covering whatever the responsible bacteria was. Took more X-rays
    but couldn't see anything obvious. We discussed getting an
    echocardiogram to look for pericardius.

    Then, I got my Google breakthrough. One of the symptoms I'd
    noticed over a year ago was feeling like something hard was stuck
    in my throat causing me to cough. Maybe 4 times I was able to
    recover was looked like a small (<= 1mm), round, hard granule that
    was light yellow in color. I'm sure I swallowed a bunch of them,
    but hadn't seen too many examples and had not remembered to
    mention this to any MDs along the way. I googled for "yellow lung
    granule" and maybe the third hit mentioned something called
    Actinomycosis. There it was, a laundry list of the symptoms I'd
    been experiencing. Furthermore, the disease is caused by the
    same bacteria that normally lives in the mouth and in dental
    plaque. Infections are most common in the jaw, but sometimes
    occur in the lungs and spread elsewhere through the body. The
    hallmark of the disease is the finding of small granules of
    sulfur. Aha, I thought. Now that I know what this is, I should
    be able to get some treatment. I tried "sulfur lung granule" on
    Google instead and had a ton of hits, all highly relevant to
    the situation I was experiencing. I printed out one of the hits
    from the Johns Hopkins Microbiology newsletter and raced back to
    the clinic to tell Rodney about it. He looked at over and
    thanked me for doing so much work for him (whatta guy Smile, and
    on the basis of what I'd told him felt there was a good chance
    that we were looking at the answer right there. None of the
    antibiotics I was on would touch this – they were all too modern.
    That was one of the terrible side effects of old antibiotics;
    they would kill the natural flora in the mouth and GI tract and
    you have all kinds of problems like fungal and yeast infections
    as a result. So the newer classes of antibiotics are carefully
    chosen to avoid killing those types of bacteria, and this was
    probably caused by Actinomyces, the most common bacteria in the
    mouth. When found in a lab culture, its precense tends to be
    discounted as normal. So, what kills this stuff? Good old
    penicillin. Yup, while everything else in the world became
    resistant to penicillin and amoxicillin, Actinomyces israelii
    never did. Rodney had me quit taking the other antibiotics and
    put me on amoxicillin (even though V-cillin-K 1g qid might have
    been a better choice). I've been on it for a couple of days and
    I'm doing a bit better. I don't stink anymore and the palms of
    my hands have quit sweating. He also gave me five days of
    prednisone which seems to be lessening the frequency of the
    chest attacks, although one did get me out of bed at 03:00 last
    night (and I took the opportunity to start working on this report
    hoping to save myself). Problem is, things are somewhat
    contained, but still appear to be spreading. I'm getting sudden
    pressure releases occasionally that seem to be coming from the
    pleura or pericardium, and this morning had one that seemed to
    be inside my head. This has me more than a little concerned.
    - From everything I've read about this, it is a really tough
    thing to treat. Oral penicillin generally does not do it. What
    is needed is 2 to 6 weeks of IV penicillin G (12 to 24 million
    units a day), followed by 12 months of V-cillin-K 1g four times
    a day. Amoxicillin 500mg 3 times a day has me in a holding pattern,
    but it's probably not going to do the trick. Rodney has no ability
    to directly admit me to a hospital without first sending me to an
    infectious disease MD there who would have to agree with all of this.
    I have an appointment on Friday.

    There you have it. That's where I am today. If anyone out there
    is familiar with this and is able to help, please let me know.
    I'll travel anywhere I have to at this point. I can be reached on
    my cell phone at (925) 535-9062. Please call only if you can help
    get me some high-dose antibiotic treatment. I have been trying to
    check email at least once a day at volkerdi@slackware.com as well.
    I'll accept whatever you'd like to send me at that address (as
    usual Smile, but if you're contacting me with an offer of help please
    add [HELP] to the subject so that I'll be able to find those emails
    more easily. Say prayers, knock on wood, whatever. I need all the
    help I can get. Anything sent here will be confidential unless you
    say otherwise, too. I also hope if I'm off the job for a couple
    more weeks that the Slackware community will still support me until
    I can return to the job, which I'm really itching to do ASAP. This
    experience has changed my perspective on a lot of things, and I think
    the future will be different (and better).

    Oh, there's this blood test result which I should also mention.
    While almost everything looks normal there, the following white
    cell counts are (barely) out of the normal range:
    Neutrophils 79 (high) NormalRange = 40-75
    Lymphocytes 16 (low) = 20-45
    Absolute Eosinophil 0.00 (low) = 0.015-0.500

    BTW, my login quote tonight was "Snow and adolescence are the only
    problems that disappear if you ignore them long enough." heh.

    Thanks for listening.

    - —
    Patrick J. Volkerding

    Version: GnuPG v1.2.6 (GNU/Linux)

  • Dit is echt slecht nieuws.
    En ik heb de laatste weken ook al last van m'n schouders…
    Hoop dat hij snel weer beter wordt… in de eerste plaats voor hemzelf natuurlijk. dat de slackware ontwikkeling een tijdje minder zal zijn is geen ramp. Als de community zich zelf wat kan organiseren m.b.t. beveiligingsupdates tenminste…
  • Ik hoop dat jij weer snel beter is.

    [quote:44f7173ece="Bamboe"]Als de community zich zelf wat kan organiseren m.b.t. beveiligingsupdates tenminste…[/quote:44f7173ece]

    Heel simpel:

    * subscribe op de Debian security lijst (geen grap)
    * als een vurnerability op slack van toepassing is: neem de slack build script, bump het versienummer en voer het script uit
    * upgradepkg de nieuwe package
  • Is dit ook de manier waarop patrick dit doet? ;)
    Nja, ik bedoelde eigenlijk of er geen mensen bereid zouden zijn om zelf een repository met beveiligingsupdates op te zetten en deze aan te kondigen in alt.os.linux.slackware ofzo… bespaart mij weer wat werk :)
  • [quote:229beda0fb="danieldk"]
    Heel simpel:

    * subscribe op de Debian security lijst (geen grap)
    * als een vurnerability op slack van toepassing is: neem de slack build script, bump het versienummer en voer het script uit
    * upgradepkg de nieuwe package[/quote:229beda0fb]

    Ik heb je idee gejat daniel en op Slackware OT gegooid…. hoop dat je dat niet erg vind.
    Veel slackers zouden dit probleemloos kunnen doen…. maar een redelijk quotum is afhankelijk van kant en klare packages.
  • Zie mijn reactie op OT.
  • [quote:eb1805ba6a="danieldk"]Zie mijn reactie op OT.[/quote:eb1805ba6a]

    wist niet dat je die ook las :D
  • Ik ben daar een lurker ;). Sinds je me een tijd geleden over de lijst verteld heb kijk ik af en toe wat er te doen is 8) .
  • Nu voel ik me dom… wat is slackware OT?
  • [quote:2e1070d948="Bamboe"]Nu voel ik me dom… wat is slackware OT?[/quote:2e1070d948]

    Erm, google? ;)
  • [quote:4fc2aa7c8f="Bamboe"]Nu voel ik me dom… wat is slackware OT?[/quote:4fc2aa7c8f]

    Tjezus…. wat ben jij dom….. ;)
    Volluit Slackware Off Topic….. mailinglist… low profile…. tegenhanger van AOLS want die is On Topic.
  • Juist… idd… *blush*
    enfin, 't is voor 't eerst dat ik van die mailinglist hoor en /me heeft zich gesubscribed :)
  • OK… 't ziet er nu wel hééél slecht uit:

    > Did you get useful responses to your request for assistance in finding a
    > source of high-dose, IV, antibiotic for your infection? A lot of us are
    > concerned and are pulling for you.

    Unfortunately, no. I chose to go to the Mayo Clinic having heard so many
    good things, and they're becoming convinced I have Marfan's Syndrome,
    which is a crock. I have good foot arches, perfect eyesight, no sign of
    scoliosis, and never had any detectable heart problems until today's exam
    which found a fairly serious murmur (probably in fact endocarditis), and
    which none of the other docs including a very sharp internal medicine guy
    could detect last week, but is now obvious to everyone. I'm quite afraid
    I'm going to die here because they won't take a chance on the IV drip.

    Wish I had a better report. They've done absolutely nothing to rule out
    an anerobic infection, and the heart pains are getting more severe every
    hour. With Marfan's, you are born with a defective heart. It's such a
    red herring that I'm stunned. :-(

    Hope this isn't my last email.

  • [moderator]
    hier stond een krachtterm die in deze context erg begrijpelijk was, maar ik helaas niet door mijn vingers kan zien

    Verder no effence.

  • Tsssss Marcel toch… Neem jij eens niet in je mond wat een ander niet in z'n handjes mag houden ;)

    Met respect hoor, maar op een publiek forum mag je toch wel verwachten dat er tenminste door de volwassenen (ja, daar hoor ik ook bij ;)) enigzins op het taalgebruik wordt gelet. Dat de situatie met Patrick V. voor verbetering vatbaar is (jep, da's een understatement :-?) staat buiten kijf, maar zó plastisch had je het m.i. niet hoeven te verwoorden (ook al ben ik het er inhoudelijk wel mee eens :cry:)

    Groet, M.V. Wesstein
  • Ik had het expres in hoofdletters geschreven, kwalitatief uitermate teleurstellend.

    Ik vond deze drie letters juist mooi de situatie verwoorden. 'Minder prettig' of 'vervelend' komt wat flauw over bij dergelijk ernstige zaken.

Beantwoord deze vraag

Dit is een gearchiveerde pagina. Antwoorden is niet meer mogelijk.